The inhabitants of Sainte-Croix-du-Mont have been growing grapes and making wine since Roman times. From the time of Gaul’s conquest by Julius Caesar until 471, the Romans occupied this region and set about improving the quality of fertile lands found in proximity to the Garonne River; they cleared the hillsides and planted the very first vines. Wealthy patricians came to settle in this welcoming countryside next to Sainte Croix du Mont and in the village itself, relics of a Gallo-Roman sepulchre have also been discovered.
During the 12th century, the English constructed a fortress overlooking the valley: Château de Tastes. Throughout the entire period of English supremacy, and despite constant conflicts between the French and English, the wine producing towns of this area became wealthy and enjoyed the advantage of considerable autonomy and generosity bestowed by the Kings.
To a greater extent than the French, the English valued the wines produced on Sainte- Croix-du- Mont’s hillsides. In 1316, the King of England abolished the duties deducted on wine sales and granted exemptions for “wines produced in the districts and jurisdictions of Sainte-Croix-du-Mont.” This heralded a marvellous period for commerce and the success of wine merchants. Commercial navigation on the Garonne River was at its height. At the port of Sainte-Croix-du-Mont, barrels of wine were loaded onto barges bound for England. Vestiges of the 18th century are still visible too; it was an era when members of the Bordeaux bourgeoisie, charmed by the beauty of this area, came to settle here and built elegant mansions surrounded by their vineyards.”
Since 2009, the wines of Sainte-Croix-du-Mont have been produced under the appelation of Cadillac-Côtes de Bordeaux